nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 11:26:22 -0500

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015 14:52:42 +0000, David Reader said:

I'm using several to connect sensors, actuators, and such to a private
network, which it's great for - but I'd think at least twice before deploying
one as a public-serving host in user-experience-critical role in a remote
location.

I have a Pi that's found a purpose in life as a remote smokeping sensor and
related network monitoring, a task it does quite nicely.

Note that they just released the Pi 2, which goes from the original single-core
ARM V6 to a quad-core ARM V7, and increases memory from 256M to1G. All at the
same price point.  That may change the calculus. I admit not having gotten one
in hand to play with yet.