nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT - Small DNS "appliances" for remote offices.

From: David Reader <david.reader () zeninternet co uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:55:25 +0000

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 06:28:16 -0800
Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson () esri com> wrote:

Hopefully not too far off topic for this list.

Am looking for options to deploy DNS caching resolvers at remote
locations

We're BIND-based and leaning to stick that way, but open to other
options if they present themselves.

I've found that "unbound" is lighter on the machine, but it does depends what you require feature-wise and/or
operationally, of course.

Am considering the Soekris net6501-50.  I can dump a Linux image on
there with our DNS config, indudstrial grade design, and OK
performance.  If the thing fails, clients will hopefully not notice due
to anycast which will just hit another DNS server somewhere else on the
network albeit with additional latency.  We ship out a replacement
device rather than mucking with trying to repair.

If you're looking at Soekris, you might also find the PCEngines products interesting.

The "APU" series appears similar at a glance - and they do offer a case (not rackmount, sadly - although 3rd parties
might) to suit.

http://www.pcengines.ch/apu.htm

At the lower end, the "ALIX" boards are available in a standard 100mm x 160mm "eurocard" format which makes them very
easy to rack up..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/81p75pyz1ngsvm6/DSCN0916.JPG?dl=0

Whichever way you do it, a small low-power box running entirely from flash or ssd is likely to be a good "fit and
forget" (security updates aside!) solution.

If you want to run from a cheap flash card, and are a linux shop, http://linux.voyage.hk/ is a debian-derived system
targetting the PCEngines boards which runs with a read-only filesystem.

d.