nanog mailing list archives

Re: Intrusion Detection recommendations

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:38:54 +0900

I've been tasked by our company president to learn about, investigate and
recommend an intrusion detection system for our company.

We're a smaller outfit, less than 100 employees, entirely Apple-based.
Macs, iPhones, some Mac Mini servers, etc., and a fiber connection to the
world. We are protected by a FreeBSD firewall setup, and we stay current
on updates/patches from Apple and FreeBSD, but that's as far as my
expertise goes.

Initially, what do people recommend for:

1. Crash course in intrusion detection as a whole
2. Suggestions or recommendations for intrusion detection hardware or
   software
3. Other things I'm likely overlooking

if you were comfortable enough with freebsd to use it as a firewall, you
can run your traffic through, or mirror it to, a freebsd box running
   https://www.bro.org/ or
   https://www.snort.org/
two quite reasonable and powerful open source systems

randy