nanog mailing list archives

Re: Intellectual Property in Network Design

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:56:29 -0500

On 12 Feb 2015, at 3:12, Skeeve Stevens wrote:

Hi all,

I have two perspectives I am trying to address with regard to network
design and intellectual property.

1) The business who does the design - what are their rights?

2) The customer who asked for the rights from a consultant

My personal thoughts are conflicting:

- You create networks with standard protocols, configurations, etc... so it
shouldn't be IP
- But you can design things in interesting ways, with experience, skill,
creativity.. maybe that should be IP?
- But artwork are created with colors, paintbrushes, canvas... but the
result is IP
- A photographer takes a photo - it is IP
- But how are 'how you do your Cisco/Juniper configs' possibly IP?
- If I design a network one way for a customer and they want 'IP', does
that mean I can't ever design a network like that again? What?

I've seen a few telcos say that they own the IP related to the network
design of their customers they deploy... which based on the above... feels
uncomfortable...

I'm really conflicted on this and wondering if anyone else has come across this situation. Perhaps any legal cases/precedent (note, I am not looking
for legal advice :)

If this email isn't appropriate for the list... sorry, and please feel free
to respond off-line.

...Skeeve

You really need to get real legal advice. There are a fair number of deep legal issues here, as best I can tell (and I'm not a lawyer); there may not be anything that's actually legally protectable. Of course, the other party may have a lawyer who thinks the opposite, and there may or may not be enough
case law to come to a reasonably probable common answer.

So--decide what your preference is (I tend to agree with Randy, but that's me), and learn what your lawyer thinks of the general question. Then ask the lawyer
what to do if there are conflicting opinions on whether or not it can be
protected, and to draft language consistent with your preference and that
belief for the contract.