nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 allocation plan, security, and 6-to-4 conversion

From: David Barak <thegameiam () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 17:07:18 -0500

On Jan 30, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Jan 30, 2015, at 18:07 , William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
How about this: when Verizon starts decommissioning its IPv4
infrastructure on the basis that IPv6 is widespread enough to no
longer require the expense of dual-stack, IPv6 will have achieved
ubiquity.

Um, no. The judgment of one traditional telephone company is hardly where I would look to contemplate the future of
the internet.

Then AT&T, Comcast, Cox, Level3, etc, could be reasonable examples?

I think the general point is worth considering - when v4 gear is regularly being pulled out of commission by large
carriers because "who needs it?" and replaced with v6 only gear, we will have achieved true ubiquity.  I think you'll
see v4 for quite a while.  Heck, I still run across SNA, Token Ring, and other really old stuff occasionally...

David Barak

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive autocorrection.