nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nat

From: Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 14:25:13 +1100

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 08:11:53PM -0700, Keith Medcalf wrote:
    I agree that a /48 or /56 being reserved for business
customers/sites is reasonable.  But for residential use, I'm having a hard
time believing multi-subnet home networks are even remotely common outside
of networking folk such as the NANOG members.  A lot of recent IPv4
devices
such as smart TVs have the ability to auto-discover things they can talk
on the network.  If we start segmenting our home networks to keep toasters
from talking to thermostats, doesn't this end up meaning your average home
user will need to be proficient in writing FW rules?  Bridging an entire
house network isn't that bad.

I have (currently) 6 network segments.  One for my "trusted" clients, one
for my "trusted" servers, one for the "entertainment" systems, one for
"dirty & untrustworthy" computers (such as those from $dayjob), one for
"clean" WiFi, and one for dirty WiFi.  If there were any additional
classes of devices, they would live in their own subnets as well.

If suspect you probably come under the "networking folk such as NANOG
members" exception to the general assertion.

- Matt