nanog mailing list archives

Re: Nat

From: Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 13:36:00 -0500

On Dec 20, 2015, at 1:22 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com> wrote:
On Dec 20, 2015, at 11:57 AM, Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net> wrote:

There is little that can be done about much of this now, but at least we can label some of these past decisions as
ridiculous and hopefully a lesson for next time.

There isn’t going to be a next time.

*points and snickers quietly*

You're either an incredible optimist,
or you're angling to be the next oft-
misquoted "640KB should be enough
for anyone" voice.

We got a good quarter of a century
out of IPv4.  I think we *might* hit
the century mark with IPv6...maybe.
But before we hit that, I suspect we'll
have found enough shortcomings
and gaps that we'll need to start
developing a new addressing format
to go with the newer networking
protocols we'll be designing to
fix those shortcomings.

Until the sun goes poof, there's *always*
going to be a next time.  We're never going
to get it _completely_ right.  You just have
to consider a longer time horizon than our
own careers.

Matt

I’m only going to say one more thing on this subject because this is essentially a side bar that has very little to do
with the subject matter of the OP.

If we hadn’t run out of address space we’d still be trying to fix IPv4.  The numbers don’t lie.  It’s not very likely
that we’re going to be space constrained on the IPv6 Internet like we are on the IPv4 internet.  Nobody is going to
want to repeat the pain of the last 17 years of trying to convince people to run IPv6.

Just about every technical challenge with the underlying protocol stack is fixable.  Except for one: what happens when
we run out addresses.  For all of its flaws, IPv6 addresses this one particular issue quite well.