nanog mailing list archives

Re: Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

From: Rich Brown <richb.hanover () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:37:52 -0500

On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:00 AM, Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>wrote:

Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> said:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM, William Kenny
<william.r.kenny () gmail com> wrote:
is that still net neutrality?

who cares? mobile was excepted from the NN rulings.

Any why the desire for extra regulation for Internet services?

Shippers (you know, actual Common Carriers) do things like this all the
time, especially when they are busy (congested).  I had a package ship
Tuesday; it sat at the receiving location for 24 hours before the first
move, then it reached my city early this morning, but since I didn't pay
extra for timed delivery (and the shipper doesn't have special
arrangements), it didn't go on a truck today.  I should get it tomorrow.

I could have paid more to get it faster, and some large-scale shippers
have special arrangements that seem to get their packages priority.  How
is this different from Internet traffic?

I think this conflates arrangements that retailers/shippers make with each other and the agreements that consumers have
with their own network supplier.

a) As a customer of a retailer that ships physical packages, my contract is with the retailer. They promise to deliver
on a certain date, or they yell at the shipper.

b) As an *network subscriber*, my contract/agreement is with my (cable/DSL/satellite/mobile) ISP. I pay them to deliver
my bits - without any discussion of where they come from. Most of these agreements don't provide much of a service
level. But I still have the understanding that *all* data coming to/from me will have substantially the rate, latency,
and packet loss that is advertised.

Specifically, I have the expectation that data from two streams (say, one from a Binge On participant, one from an
unsubsidized source like an Ubuntu ISO download) should arrive with substantially the same rate, latency and packet
loss.

I can then remain ignorant/uninvolved with whether any source wants to use CDNs, or to subsidize a subscriber's data
plan, or make any other arrangement between the data source and the intervening providers. As long as data is arriving
at the contracted rate, I am getting what I paid for.

Isn't that a useful and testable basis for understanding Net Neutrality? Doesn't this address (at least part of) the
argument about guaranteeing equal access to all content whether subsidized or not?