nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering + Transit Circuits

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:38:18 -0400

On Aug 18, 2015, at 7:26 PM, Faisal Imtiaz <faisal () snappytelecom net> wrote:

Thank you for the explanation..

However wouldn't a few other other attributes of the traffic show up .
 e.g. you would have asymmetric traffic.. going out via us, but coming back via a totally another path ?

So? If I am a content provider, my transit has more out than in. If I can push some of that outbound traffic through
you for free, I’ll get the inbound over my transit provider for free since inbound is so low.

BTW, my comment "We will trust everything coming in" was in ref. to QOS tags.

However, if you have a router at the IX which has _only_ peer routes
and your routes, that solves the problem. If I send you a packet for Comcast,
your peering router will drop it and send an ICMP Network Unreachable.

In this scenario, the peering router is feeding routes to a Route Reflector ?
and not taking in full routes from the route reflector ?

The peering router has routes from the peers (since it peers directly with them), and routes from your internal
network. Not sure where a router reflector comes into this. You can use one, or not, but it’s not relevant to which
routes the peering router has.

But standard network hygiene will stop those.
If there are any resources you could point to for these, I would be much obliged..

There are lots, but don’t have my references with me. There’s 10K+ people on this list, I’m sure someone else has a
list they like. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick