nanog mailing list archives

Re: Drops in Core

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 08:00:55 -0400

On Aug 15, 2015, at 1:41 PM, Job Snijders <job () instituut net> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:01:56PM +0530, Glen Kent wrote:

Is there a paper or a presentation that discusses the drops in the core?

If i were to break the total path into three legs -- the first, middle
and the last, then are you saying that the probability of packet loss
is perhaps 1/3 in each leg (because the packet passes through
different IXes).

It is unlikely packets pass through an IXP more then once.

“Unlikely”? That’s putting it mildly.

Unless someone is selling transit over an IX, I do not see how it can happen. And I would characterize transit over
IXes far more pessimistically than “unlikely”.

[Combining responses]