nanog mailing list archives

Re: RES: Exploits start against flaw that could hamstring huge swaths of

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 12:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Helms" <khelms () zcorum com>

On Aug 4, 2015 9:38 AM, "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
wrote:

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Scott Helms <khelms () zcorum com>
wrote:
With the (large) caveat that heterogenous networks are more
subject to human error in many cases.

<cough>automate!</cough>

Automation just means your mistake goes many more places more quickly.

Not necessarily.

The sort of failure you're talking about, Scott, is "user did the wrong
thing", and sure, automation makes it easier for that to spread.

Chris was, though, I think, suggesting automating around "user tries to do
the right thing on disjoint devices, and fails *because they're disjoint*";
that is, clearly, a problem automation can help with.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com