nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco/Level3 takedown

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 15:39:59 -0500

On Apr 9, 2015, at 3:01 PM, Matt Olney (molney) <molney () cisco com> wrote:

service provider community:

Talos is the threat intelligence group within Cisco.  We absolutely
welcome discussions with any network operator on how we can improve the
state of security on the Internet.  Please contact me directly via email
and we can have a discussion about how we can work together going forward.

While I agree that the (at least temporary) mitigation of the threat was overall a good thing, I'm not really happy
with the method used.  Decisions to drop/block/filter traffic should be done locally.  I would have appreciated Talos
coming to the various *nog lists and saying something like "Hey, there's some really bad guys here.  Here's the
evidence of their bad behavior, you really should block them."  That probably would have had a wider reach than just
going to Level3.

--Chris