nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vendor cert levels

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 15:23:16 -0400

On Sep 3, 2014, at 5:00 AM, Isaac Adams <isaacnanog () gmail com> wrote:

Hey Folks,

I am trying to work out a strategy for vendor certification in our company.
As a general rule, do you all fund employees certification and if so what
kind of levels do you try to maintain as good practice?

For example. NOC staff should be JNCIA and engineering JNCIP to JNCIE?

Clearly certification does not usually reflect ability but it does help
people feel valued and to maintain a basic level of competence.

Cisco discriminates against customers without certification and delays service and support to them as a result.  (e.g.:
you can’t open a sev 1 case online unless you are “CCIE”).

You likely want to have someone with this access in their account to speed access when there are network critical
issues.

- Jared