nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: Michael Van Norman <mvn () ucla edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:54:22 -0700

On 10/3/14 3:44 PM, "Lyle Giese" <lyle () lcrcomputer net> wrote:

On 10/03/14 17:34, Michael Van Norman wrote:
My reading of this is that these features are illegal, period. Rogue
AP
detection is one thing, and disabling them via network or
"administrative" (ie. eject the guest) means would be fine, but
interfering with the wireless is not acceptable per the FCC
regulations.

Seems like common sense to me. If the FCC considers this
'interference',
which it apparently does, then devices MUST NOT intentionally
interfere.
I would expect interfering for defensive purposes **only** would be
acceptable.
What constitutes "defensive purposes"?
Since this is unlicensed spectrum, I don't think there is anything one
has
a right to defend :)

/Mike

If you charge for access and one person pays and sets up a rogue AP
offering free WiFi to anyone in range.  I can see a defensive angle there.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

In that case turn off the offenders access.  No FCC violation doing that.
In any case, that was not what was happening here.

/Mike