nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: Michael Van Norman <mvn () ucla edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:34:14 -0700

My reading of this is that these features are illegal, period. Rogue AP
detection is one thing, and disabling them via network or
"administrative" (ie. eject the guest) means would be fine, but
interfering with the wireless is not acceptable per the FCC regulations.

Seems like common sense to me. If the FCC considers this 'interference',
which it apparently does, then devices MUST NOT intentionally interfere.

I would expect interfering for defensive purposes **only** would be
acceptable.

What constitutes "defensive purposes"?

Since this is unlicensed spectrum, I don't think there is anything one has
a right to defend :)

/Mike