nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN / RIR Pragmatism (WAS: Re: RADB)

From: John Sweeting <john.sweeting () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:23:38 -0400

On 2014-10-23 12:33, Christopher Morrow wrote:

 Sounds like you want to see the rirs make sure they get rpki work
dine and widely available with the least encumbrances on the network
operator community as possible.

Or focus on more short/intermediate term returns like fortifying all the
existing systems and automating processes that are already deployed and
focus on ROI of members and operational buffers required by the community
_today.  E.g., IRR training and investment rather than RPKI, which this
thread began with.

makes perfect sense to focus on validating existing systems such as IRR.
Seems like very low hanging fruit with a lot of benefit and a good ROI

I'd continue and say in-addr.arpa or the like for resource certification
because RPKI is so ugly, silly without a single root aligned with number
resource allocations, etc.., but that'd require response cycles I'm not
going to spend there.

 Did you see wes's slides / talk at the last nanog?

I did (after).

Aside, I understand why the ARIN board did what they did with the RPA and
I don't blame them -- it seemed well considered to me, but that's just me.

Reminded of Taleb's "Fat Tony" quote [paraphrased]: If the pilot ain't on
the plane, you probably don't want to get on it,

-danny