nanog mailing list archives

Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch

From: "Israel G. Lugo" <israel.lugo () lugosys com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 01:48:35 +0100

Hi,

Not intending to start a flame war here. I have been referred to the
website below, and believe they certainly raise some valid concerns.

http://www.debianfork.org/

If you have the time, please take a moment to read over the text, and
follow a few links. I am quoting the first few paragraphs as a summary:

We are Veteran Unix Admins and we are concerned about what is
happening to Debian GNU/Linux to the point of considering a
fork of the project.

Some of us are upstream developers, some professional
sysadmins: we are all concerned peers interacting with Debian
and derivatives on a daily basis.

We don't want to be forced to use systemd in substitution to
the traditional UNIX sysvinit init, because systemd betrays
the UNIX philosophy.

We contemplate adopting more recent alternatives to sysvinit,
but not those undermining the basic design principles of "do
one thing and do it well" with a complex collection of dozens
of tightly coupled binaries and opaque logs.

I understand discussion on this matter has been quite polarized in some
circles. As stated, it's not my intention to start an argument on
whether A is better than B, nor do I believe that to be the site's
purpose. Rather, I would like to divulge and hopefully incite some
productive discussion.

Regards,
Israel G. Lugo