nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:54:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Owen DeLong wrote:

Sadly there are pieces of 3GPP that limit LTE to single /64 already. These should, IMHO, be fixed.

DHCPv6-PD is already standardized in 3GPP several years ago, it just hasn't made it widely into equipment out there yet.

That's why current "best way" to do this is to share the /64 between the PDP context and the LAN. This of course is quite limiting, but it wouldn't surprise me if we'll see differentiation here between "mobile Internet" and regular "handset Internet" subscriptions unfortunately.

I fully support giving all devices whatever they request, stop differentiating between different kinds of devices, and just charge where the costs are, ie on packets moved.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se