nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 14:47:42 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Marget" <chris () marget com>

You [I] said:

It is OK for an enterprise wifi system to make this sort of attack
*on rogue APs which are trying to pretend to be part of it (same ESSID).

I'm curious to hear how you'd rationalize containing a copycat AP
under the current rules.

In fact, I remain fuzzy on when spoofed de-auth frames would *ever* be okay
when used against unwilling clients within the FCC's jurisdiction given
their position that spoofed control frames constitute interference under
part 15 rules.

This thread and similar discussions elsewhere contain assertions that
enterprise networks "need to defend themselves" in some circumstances,
or that "containing" an AP with a copycat SSID would certainly be okay.

I'm not so sure.

The "need to manage our RF space" arguments ring hollow to me. I certainly
understand why someone would *want* to manage the spectrum, but that's
just not anyone's privilege when using ISM bands. If the need is great
enough, get some licensed spectrum and manage that.

I wasn't making that argument.

I was making the "if someone tries to pretend to be part of my network,
so that my users will inadvertantly attach to them and possibly leak
'classified' data, *then that rogue user is making a 1030 attack on my
network*.

A copycat AP is unquestionably hostile, and likely interfering with users,
but I'm unconvinced that the hostility triggers a privilege to attack it
under part 15 rules. In addition to not being allowed to interfere, we also
have:

You're not attacking it, per se; you are defensively disconnecting from
it *users who are part of your own network*; these are endpoints *you are
administratively allowed to exert control over*, from my viewpoint.

2. This device must accept any interference received, including
interference that may cause undesired operation.

Certificate-based authentication would solve that problem anyway,
wouldn't it?

Probably.  And yes, any system big enough to do this stuff is likely
big enough to run 1x as well.

A "rogue" AP plugged into a wired port is best solved at the wired port,

I'm not sure anyone was actually mooting this.

Even large private campuses like oil refineries probably wouldn't be in the
clear doing this sort of thing unless they're able to stop law enforcement,
delivery drivers, paramedics and firefighters at the gate in order to get
them to agree to receive spoofed de-auth frames.

Again: you've shifted topics here from "enterprise rogue protection" (stay off *my* ESSID) to "Marriott Attack" (stay
off all ESSIDs that *aren't* mine);
different thing entirely.

I make a clear distinction (now that it's not 3am :-) between what Marriott
is doing, and what enterprises doing rogue protection are doing, as noted
above.

Still not a lawyer.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com