nanog mailing list archives

Re: Marriott wifi blocking

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () latt net>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 00:25:40 -0400

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 10:57:29PM -0500, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
It?s not just Marriott doing this; A friend of mine went to a convention
near DC and found the venue was doing something like this. I don?t know if
the method was the same, but he reported that any time he connected to his
phone he would be disconnected ?nearly immediately". He mentioned this to a
con staffer and was told you had to rent internet access from the venue, it
cost several hundred dollars per day. Same for electricity, about which he

        I've seen this in a few places, but if anyone encounters similar
behavior, I suggest the following:

        - Document the incident.
        - Identify the make and model of the access point, or
          controller, and be sure to pass along this information to
          the FCC's OET: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/

        Vendors really need to start losing their US device certification
for devices that include advertised features that violate US law.  It
would put a stop to this sort of thing pretty quickly.

        --msa