nanog mailing list archives

Re: Buying IP Bandwidth Across a Peering Exchange

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:13:34 -0500

Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com> writes:

Some might ask why not get a cross connect to the provider. It is cheaper
to buy an port on the exchange (which includes the cross connect to the
exchange) than buy multiple cross connects. Plus we are planning on getting
a wave to the exchange, and not having any physical routers or switches at
the datacenter where the exchange/wave terminates at. Is this possible?

"Technically possible" and "advisable" are two different things.  If
you enjoy finger-pointing on the occasions where you are trying to
smoke out performance issues, I encourage as many third, fourth, and
fifth-party-managed network layers in the mix as possible.  A wave
with no way to test to the handoff point would of course be the icing
on the cake.

Are you sure you can't afford to sublet a few ru of space from someone
and pay for a couple extra cross connects?

-r