nanog mailing list archives

Re: Observations of an Internet Middleman (Level3) (was: RIP Network Neutrality

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 07:29:06 -0700

Having an actual free market would require having competition. So long as we have monopoly layer 1 providers being
allowed to use that monopoly as leverage for higher layer service monopolies, (or oligopolies), an actual free market
is virtually impossible.

The result of deregulating the current environment would only be more pain and cost to the consumer than we currently
have with no improvement in speeds or capabilities and no additional innovation.

Owen