nanog mailing list archives

Re: US patent 5473599

From: Henning Brauer <hb-nanog () bsws de>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 20:54:02 +0200

* Bill Fenner <fenner () gmail com> [2014-05-08 20:41]:
I was the IESG member responsible for the VRRP working group when the
OpenBSD developer (I'm sorry, Henning, I forget if it was you or someone
else)

wasn't me, as stated repeatedly I wasn't the one talking to the
standard bodies.

came to a VRRP WG meeting and demanded that the IETF handle the
patent issue with VRRP.  We described the IETF's IPR process and that the
policy is explicitly not to do what was being requested, and the response
was more or less "well, then we'll have to fix the problem for you".  At
later meetings I heard buzz about how the developers intended CARP to
interfere with VRRP, with the philosophical position that VRRP wasn't a
protocol.

I think we have told what happened in enough detail in the 3.5
commentary already posted to this thread.

--
Henning Brauer, hb () bsws de, henning () openbsd org
BS Web Services GmbH, AG Hamburg HRB 128289, http://bsws.de