nanog mailing list archives

Re: arin representation

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 16:29:17 -0400

On Mar 25, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Bob Evans <bob () FiberInternetCenter com> wrote:

Like every governing body, it's easy to criticize it. However, if it were
some big monopoly with giant hidden agendas accomplished behind closed
doors, I wouldn't see networks like Verizon disappointed at an ARIN
meeting as their perspective was being over ruled by the majority. I have
seen this at a meeting when Verizon decided to go purchase IPv4 space in
the marketplace as they could not obtain what they tried to justify. It
would have been a huge chunk of what remained. The IPv4 marketplace grew
even more that week.

I like term limits for every governing body - except when it's a company I
built with my money.  :-)

I've seen term limits significantly harm organizations due to the churn that
can happen as a result.  Folks aren't as invested long-term as a consequence.

This can clearly cut both ways resulting in some positions being protected longer
than they should, or allowing the entire "vote the bums out" crowd to cause
unstable behavior afterwards.

I believe there are things that ARIN could do better but don't have
the time to invest in the process to correct these.  I do take time
to lobby those who I know that are involved in the process and express
my opinion of the ways that ARIN could do a better service for the community.

- Jared