nanog mailing list archives

Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 10:22:31 +0100

Subject: Re: why IPv6 isn't ready for prime time, SMTP edition Date: Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 03:35:48PM -0400 Quoting John
R. Levine (johnl () iecc com):
It must be nice to live in world where there is so little spam and
other mail abuse that you don't have to do any of the anti-abuse
things that real providers in the real world have to do.

What is a real provider? And what in the email specifications tells us
that the email needs and solutions of any one individual, as long as they
are following protocol (which I'm quite convinced Mark is) are "unreal"?

A real provider is one that provides mail for real users, as opposed
to someone who plays RFC language lawyer games.  I only have a few
dozen users, but I can assure you I use a whole lot of different
filtering approaches including DNSBLs to keep my users' mailboxes
usable.

Ergo, ad hominem. Please quit doing that.
As a side note I happen to run my own mail server without spam filters
-- it works for me. I might not be the norm, but then again, is there
really a norm? (A norm that transcends SMTP RFC reach, that is -- the
necessity to stick to protocol is not under debate)

I must say it's pretty amusing that someone who works for the
organization that published the original DNSBL seems to be ranting
against them.

The ability to change ones mind when circumstances change is usually
seen as advantageous. Why not here?

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668