nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:39:09 -0700

On Mar 22, 2014, at 12:36 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner () cluebyfour org> wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, William Herrin wrote:
On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner () cluebyfour org> wrote:

All of these 'Hail Mary' options for 'saving' IPv4 really are pointless.

IPv4 is like the U.S. Penny. It'll be useless long before it goes
away. And right now it's far from useless.

Interesting analogy, but it misses the larger point.  The larger point is
that the ongoing effort to squeeze more mileage out of IPv4 will soon [1]
outweigh the mileage we (collectively) get out of it.

Hi Justin,

That's what I hear. Interesting thing though: it hasn't happened yet.
IANA ran out of /8's and it didn't happen. The RIRs dropped to
high-conservation mode on their final allocations and it didn't
happen. How could that be?

I disagree with your assertion that it hasn’t happened. It _IS_ happening.

The cost of maintaining IPv4 is already going up and the increases will continue to become more dramatic over time.

Owen