nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale (was: Ipv4 end, its fake.)

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 12:58:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, William Herrin wrote:

That's what I hear. Interesting thing though: it hasn't happened yet.
IANA ran out of /8's and it didn't happen. The RIRs dropped to
high-conservation mode on their final allocations and it didn't
happen. How could that be?

I never said that things would get bad the instant that IANA ran out of space or your friendly neighborhood RIR reached the trigger point for their IPv4 exhaustion plans. Different RIRs have different consumption rates.

There are also different pain points for different networks. A large .edu that has a big enough chunk of legacy IPv4 space to meet their needs for the next several years is in a different place than a large eyeball network that is deploying LSN/CGN to stretch what they have left because they can't go back to the well to get more. A large content/hosting provider who has customers that have different Internet reachability requirements where LSN/CGN doesn't help much has yet another different set of business drivers and pain points.

In completely unrelated news, placard-bearing lunatics on the streets
of New York City report that The End Is Nigh... for most of the last
century.

I put my sandwich board away a long time ago. I'm too busy working on deploying IPv6 ;)

jms