nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 blames Internet slowdowns on Technica

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:57:21 -0700

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund () medline com>wrote:

[...]
The economic reality is that if I build out an expensive infrastructure I
have to pile on as many high priced services as possible to order to
maximize the revenue from it.  A customer who does not balk at a $200 a
 month TV/voice/Internet service is not going to be happy getting a bill of
$50 a month for a fiber loop.  The services are what the customer really
wants and where you can add bells and whistle with little added expense.
 The infrastructure is the expensive part.

Oh good lord, if anyone could deliver a fiber loop to my property for
$50/month, I would prepay the next 20 years
right now to make it happen.  Heck, I'd pay 10x that for a fiber loop to
the property, if I could have it cross
connected to the ISP of my choice at the far end.

I think you might underestimate what people would be willing to pay for
competitive infrastructure access to their property.

Conversely, I'd be happy to pay $5,000 in NRC installation charges
to get a fiber run to the property, with a correspondingly lower MRC.

Matt