nanog mailing list archives

Re: misunderstanding scale

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:38:53 -0400

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org> wrote:
On 3/24/14 1:37 PM, "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us> wrote:
That would be one of those "details" on which smart people disagree.
In this case, I think you're wrong. Modern NAT superseded the
transparent proxies and bastion hosts of the '90s because it does the
same security job a little more smoothly. And proxies WERE designed to
act as a security feature.

What kinds of devices are we talking about here?  Are we talking about the
default NAT on a home network router, or an enterprise-level NAT operating
on a firewall?

Hi Lee,

I don't see NAT as a deployment issue for residential networks. Most
folks just hook their computer up to whatever CPE the vendor sends
them without any further attention.

If we're talking about an enterprise firewall, then I don't
understand--we're talking about a firewall.  If it implements a symmetric
NAT in addition to a stateful firewall, then it's implementing the same
function twice.  But, hey, it's your network, if
security-through-obscurity is one of your defense in depth layers, that's
fine.

"Obscurity" offers one or more defense layers. If you disagree, post
your passwords here.

Unaddressibility is a second defense layer.

Stateful firewalling is a third.

You observe that all three are accomplished by the same lines of code
in the firewall. The firewall doesn't exist in a void. It's part of a
system. That system is configured with unroutable addresses or it
isn't. It has many public addresses or it doesn't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004