nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Security [Was: Re: misunderstanding scale]

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 02:56:29 +0000

On Mar 24, 2014, at 6:37 AM, Timothy Morizot <tmorizot () gmail com> wrote:

You'll pardon my skepticism over claims that unspecified security weaknesses make it impossible to do what we have
done and are continuing to
do.

All this unfilterable ICMP makes for interesting times - I've already run across ND storms caused remotely
(deliberately, IMHO).  Insane policies such as /64s for p2p link addresses don't help, either.

And the consonance of the English letters 'B', 'C', 'D', & 'E' when spoken aloud is quite likely to prove a major
security issue, IMHO.  Time for folks to adopt the phonetic alphabet, if they absolutely must communicate verbally.

IPv6 has all the security issues associated with IPv4, plus a few new ones which are unique to IPv6.  Denying the
latter doesn't make them go away.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton