nanog mailing list archives

Re: US to relinquish control of Internet

From: "John R. Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 15 Mar 2014 21:02:57 -0400

What's the worst they can do at this point? Make .bobtodd and
.bubbagump TLDs? This is different from some of the crap we've got now
in what way??

Well, ICANN has come pretty close to delegating .HOME and .CORP to domain speculators, despite the vast amount of informal use which would get badly screwed up.

Like I said, I look forward to the ITU equitably delegating domain names and IP addresses. Sorry the US has enough names already, the next ten million go to underserved areas. And since we know that phone numbers work great with per-country prefixes, we're going to improve the DNS so domain names always start with the country code.

R's,
John