nanog mailing list archives

Re: FW: Getting pretty close to default IPv4 route maximum for 6500/7600routers.

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 10:54:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014, John van Oppen wrote:

It is generally much better to do the following:

mls cef maximum-routes ipv6 90
mls cef maximum-routes ip-multicast 1

This will leave v4 and mpls in one big pool, puts v6 to something useful for quite a while and steals all of the
multicast space which is not really used on most deployments.

This gives us the following (which is pretty great for IP backbone purposes in dual stack):

#show mls cef maximum-routes
FIB TCAM maximum routes :
Current :-
-------
IPv4 + MPLS         - 832k (default)
IPv6                - 90k
IP multicast        - 1k

I was just looking at / thinking about this again, and though I don't disagree that doing the split your way is probably better, I think it's a moot point. I strongly suspect these boxes will run out of RAM before they're able to utilize another 256k routing slots with multiple full v4 tables.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route