nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Steven Saner <ssaner () hubris net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:55:39 -0500

On 07/23/2014 07:58 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Scott Helms wrote:

for a more open approach.  The people involved in the bond arrangements
almost invariably see having the city the layer 3 provider as more
reliable
path to getting repaid than an open system.

Another model is the one described for instance in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXYaAd5ubok . This has worked
successfully in Sweden as well, people getting together and putting in
ducts or fiber themselves.

In the countryside, people (at least in Sweden) people are used to
cooperating in maintenance of roads and other things, one neighbor has a
backhoe, second one has a snowplow attachment and everybody helps out.
It's a lot easier to accept digging on your property when it's your
neighborhood people getting together in doing something, instead of
$BIGTELCO that has screwed you before and will screw you again, wanting
to do the same thing. Also, after putting it in, you own the
infrastructure, so it might actually be a good investment and raise your
property value.

In the US, in midwest rural areas at least, you see do quite a few
cooperatives in the realm of things like power distribution. It isn't
quite the same as neighbors getting together to build a network, but it
has some of the same elements. I live outside of the city and I am a
member of a rural electric cooperative. Compared to when I was in the
city on the local regulated monopoly grid, my rates are lower, the
number of outages are fewer and the overall quality of service is
better. I don't know if that is necessarily a common experience, but it
is mine. It seems to me that in rural areas a cooperative framework
could be ideal for networks as well.

Now, it is tempting to suggest that the electric cooperative should take
on the project. After all they have a network of electric poles, it
doesn't seem that it would be that hard to hang fiber on them. However,
I fear that it would be enough outside of the management's wheelhouse
that it could end badly. Would probably need a completely separate
management team to do it right.

Steve

--
Steven Saner <ssaner () hubris net>                      Voice:  316-858-3000
Director of Network Operations                          Fax:  316-858-3001