nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni Fiber and Politics

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:41:13 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Barton" <dougb () dougbarton us>

I was planning AE, and to deploy 3 pair per drop, except on multiunit
building, where my overbuild ratio would be between 1.6 and 1.2 or
so.

Heh, great minds think alike, as I was contemplating the same issue that
Keenan raised. My number of pairs was 5 though ... 1 each for TV, Phone,
and Internet providers, 1 as a spare in case something breaks, and 1 for
the thing that hasn't been invented yet. The thinking being that strands
of dark fiber are cheaper then retrenching, etc.

IIRC, going from 1pr to 3pr raised my build cost about 12ish %, going to
6pr would have been another 12%, cause you have term equipment costs to
think about in addition to the fiber cost, which is delta.

Conductors are cheap, people are pricey.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com