nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 18:35:10 -0700

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
wrote:

Randy Bush wrote:

And, of course, one might ask why Netflix isn't ... making use of a
caching network like Akamai, as many other large traffic sources do
on a routine basis.

they do.  netflix rolls their own cache servers, installable in any
network

At the ISPs expense, including connectivity to a peering point. Most
content providers pay Akamai, Netflix wants ISPs to pay them. Hmmm....

Uh, yeah, you've already been corrected on that
score, no need to spank you again for that one...

Now I write a check every month to both Verizon and Netflix - and clearly
it would be nice if some of that went to provisioning better service
between the two.  But I can as easily point to Netflix, as to Verizon, when
it comes to which dollar stream should be going to bigger (or more
efficient) pipes.

So, if Netflix had to pay additional money to get direct
links to Verizon, you'd be OK paying an additional
50cents/month to cover those additional costs,
right?  And when Time Warner also wants Netflix
to pay for direct connections, you'd be ok paying
an additional 50cents/month to cover those costs
as well, right?  And another 50cents/month for the
direct connections to Sprint?  And another 50cents/month
for the direct connections to cablevision?  (repeat for
whatever top list of eyeball networks you want to
reference).

At what point do you draw the line and say "wait
a minute, this model isn't scalable; if every eyeball
network charges netflix to connect directly to them,
my Netflix bill is going to be $70/month instead of
$7/month, and I'm going to end up cancelling my
subscription to them."

Miles Fidelman

Matt