nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with IPv6 and Routing Efficiency

From: "Mukom Akong T." <mukom.tamon () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 08:08:26 +0400

Thank you for your responses Saku,

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 5:00 PM, Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

2. lack of checksum
   - in some instances packet corruption maybe impossible to detect in
network

How prevalent is this problem? There might be not point fixing a problem
with a 0.2% probability of occurring, especially as it might be cheaper to
detect and fix the errors at the application layer.

3. solicited-node multicast in LAN
   - replaces broadcast 'problem' with vastly harder problem
   - likely most practical deployments will just use traditional flooding

Could you please explain how broadcast is better than solicited node
multicast. In any case we aren't getting round that for now and it is
deeply imbedded in NDP. I am interested in your negative experiences with
solicited node multicasts.

4. large lans
   - no really ipv6's fault, but addressing policy's fault
   - due to vast scale, large lan adds hard to solve dos vectors

Just because you can have 2^64 possible hosts on a LAN still doesn't mean
we through principles of good LAN design out the door. :-) So I'd say it's
rather the fault of shoddy network design rather than address policy.

--

Mukom Akong T.

http://about.me/perfexcellence |  twitter: @perfexcellent
“When you work, you are the FLUTE through whose lungs the whispering of the
hours turns to MUSIC" - Kahlil Gibran