nanog mailing list archives

Re: best practice for advertising peering fabric routes

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 21:46:25 +0100

* clay () bloomcounty org (Clay Fiske) [Wed 15 Jan 2014, 20:34 CET]:
Semi-related tangent: Working in an IXP setting I have seen weird corner cases cause issues in conjunction with the IXP subnet existing in BGP. Say someone’s got proxy ARP enabled on their router (sadly, more common than it should be, and not just from noobs at startups). Now say your IXP is growing and you expand the subnet. No matter how much you harp on the customers to make the change, they don’t all do it at once. Someone announces the new, larger subnet in BGP. Now when anyone ARPs for IPs in the new part of the range, proxy ARP guy (still on the smaller subnet) says “hey I have a route for that, send it here”. That was fun to troubleshoot. :)

Proper run IXPs pay engineers to hunt down people with Proxy ARP enabled on their peering interfaces.

        -- Niels.

--
"It's amazing what people will do to get their name on the internet, which is odd, because all you really need is a Blogspot account."
                        -- roy edroso, alicublog.blogspot.com