nanog mailing list archives

Re: best practice for advertising peering fabric routes

From: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:37:43 +0000

On Jan 15, 2014, at 10:31 PM, Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org> wrote:

I am approaching it from a different perspective, 'where is PMTU-D broken for people who want to use 1500-9K frames
end to end?'

I understand that perspective, absolutely.

But what I'm saying is that that whether or not they want to use jumbo frames for Internet traffic, it doesn't matter,
because PMTU-D is likely to be broken either at the place where the traffic is initiated, the place where the traffic
is received, or both - so any nonsense in the middle, especially on IXP networks in particular, isn't really a
significant issue in and of itself.

If we could get things optimized and remediated to the point where potential PMTU-D breakage in IXP networks were a
significant issue of iteself, the Internet would be much improved.  But I don't see any likelihood of that happening
anytime soon.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton