nanog mailing list archives

Managing ACL exceptions (was Re: Filter NTP traffic by packet size?)

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 16:01:50 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Galbraith" <brandon.galbraith () gmail com>

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Keegan Holley <no.spam () comcast net>
wrote:
More politely stated, it’s not the responsibility of the operator to
decide what belongs on the network and what doesn’t. Users can run any
services that’s not illegal or even reuse ports for other
applications.

Blocking chargen at the edge doesn't seem to be outside of the realm
of possibilities.

All of these conversations are variants of "how easy is it to set up a
default ACL for loops, and then manage exceptions to it?".

Assuming your gear permits it, I don't personally see all that much
Bad Actorliness in setting a relatively tight bidirectional ACL for
Random Edge Customers, and opening up -- either specific ports, or
just "to a less-/un-filtered ACL" on specific request.

The question is -- as it is with BCP38 -- *can the edge gear handle it*?

And if not: why not?  (Protip: because buyers of that gear aren't
agitating for it)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com