nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 01:20:03 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike () swm pp se>

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014, Jay Ashworth wrote:
In my not-at-all humble opinion, in an eyeball network, you almost
*never* want to make it easier for houses to talk to one another
directly; there isn't any "real" traffic there. Just attack traffic.

But creating a solution where you can talk to anyone else on the Internet
but not the ones in your own neighborhood is broken, so it needs to be
fixed. In IPv4 I've seen this solved with local-proxy-arp within the
subnet, and for IPv6 it's easily solvable by not announcing an on-link
network so they won't even try to communicate directly with each other but
instead everything is routed via the ISP upstream router and then down
again to the other customer CPE/computer.

I did not show my work.

I apologize.  I will try again:

If I am a commercial customer of an eyeball ISP like Road Runner: *I am
entitled to expect that that ISP is technically capable of protecting
me from possible attack traffic from that other customer*, who's outside
my administrative span of control.  If they can send me traffic directly
across a local access subnet, that requires a much larger hammer than if
such traffic must cross the edge concentrator first, the configuration
I assert is a better choice.

Does that help?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com