nanog mailing list archives

Re: carrier comparison

From: Matthew Crocker <matthew () corp crocker com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:22:56 -0500

IMHO  Cogent bandwidth is fine so long as it isn’t your only bandwidth.  Good, Cheap, Fast,  Pick any two.

--
Matthew S. Crocker
President

E: matthew () crocker com
P: (413) 746-2760
F: (413) 746-3704
W: http://www.crocker.com

On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:17 AM, Adam Greene <maillist () webjogger net> wrote:

Hi,

We're a small ISP / datacenter with a Time Warner fiber-based DIA contract
that is coming up for renewal.

We're getting much better pricing offers from Cogent, and are finding out
what Level 3 can do for us as well. Both providers will use Time Warner
fiber for last mile.

My questions are:

-          Will we be sacrificing quality if we spring for Cogent?
(yesterday's Cogent/Verizon thread provided some cold chills for my spine)

-          Is there a risk with contracting a carrier that utilizes another
carrier (such as Time Warner) for the last mile? (i.e. if there is a
downtime situation, are we going to be caught in a web of confusion and
finger-pointing that delays problem resolution)?

-          How are peoples' experiences with L3 vs TWC?

Although I assume everyone on the list would be interested in what others
have to say about these questions, out of respect for the carriers in
question, I encourage you to email frank opinions off list.

Or if there are third party tools or resources you know that I could consult
to deduce the answers to these questions myself, they are most welcome.

Thanks,

Adam