nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast thinks it ok to install public wifi in your house

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 12:50:23 -0800

That's interesting, thanks for that info, Mike. Jason has a good point in that a lot of the "reporting" on this topic so far has been ill-informed, and I think it's important to understand the truth.

Re Rodney and Randy's point about this being blown out of proportion, the thing I'm most concerned about is not the service itself, which is interesting, and has the capability to be a good utilization of resources (as in, a cheap way to provide a beneficial service).

My concerns are that apparently customers are not informed about the thing before it gets enabled, and the issue of wifi density that was raised by several people here. If you have an apartment building for example, where a significant majority of the tenants are Comcast customers (cuz in 'murica we loves us some monopolies) I see a lot of strong xfinity signals stomping on an already crowded 2.4 G spectrum.

So just to be clear, I'm not being critical at this point, I'm simply interested in separating the facts from the hype.

Doug