nanog mailing list archives

Re: DHCPv6 authentication

From: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen () network1 net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

My clients typically do DHCP authentication in order to have the ability to tell which user has which IP at what time.
The challenge with doing this with IPv6 is that the original DHCPv6 spec has no provision for there to be any unique
identifier that can be tied to a particular user like DHCPv4 does. RFC 6939 defines a way to fix that, but I have yet
to see it implemented by anything.

thanks,
-Randy