nanog mailing list archives

Re: Mikrotik RouterBoard and Ubiquiti Networks Routing and Switching Solutions

From: Rubens Kuhl <rubensk () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 23:15:56 -0300

I personally feel like at this level of traffic,  A entry level of linux
server (like dell r210) with adequate domain knowledge is the best
combination.  It would happily do most stuff you throw at it, if you know
how to use it.  Entry level hardware solution  tries to hide details from
user, because they want to target clueless consumers, but it sounds like a
 PITA for me.  If I had to learn new stuff, i better spend my time on some
real industrial stuff (like m7i/m10i ).

General purpose servers are usually good performers, but more
network-centric x86 hardware is available, such as:
http://www.serveru.us/en/

And running VyOS on those servers, although requiring to learn some new
stuff, might prove handy due to nice features in device management.
Forgetting to add command lines to /etc/rc.d start-up files is a common
cause for issues using general purpose operating systems, and you will its
CLI very close to the real industrial stuff.

Rubens