nanog mailing list archives

Re: Requirements for IPv6 Firewalls

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 19:34:56 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org> wrote:
On 4/17/14 11:51 AM, "William Herrin" <bill () herrin us> wrote:
Also, I note your draft is entitled "Requirements for IPv6 Enterprise
Firewalls." Frankly, no "enterprise" firewall will be taken seriously
without address-overloaded NAT. I realize that's a controversial
statement in the IPv6 world but until you get past it you're basically
wasting your time on a document which won't be useful to industry.

You've said this before, and it is still an absurdly over-broad statement.

Hi Lee,

That tends to happen when one takes a nuanced topic involving the
intersection of technology with human social behavior and boils it
down to two sentences. Perhaps I could have said, "taken seriously by
enough of your target audience without."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004