nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPMON Alert Questions

From: Tony Tauber <ttauber () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:31:08 -0400

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com
wrote:

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:
On Thursday, April 03, 2014 03:55:11 PM Christopher Morrow
wrote:

I'm going to guess:
  1) who's going to pay for the filtering setup work?

Well, your customers are paying you to ensure they don't get
cut off due to your negligence.

I think you mean they are paying me to carry their bits across the
network...
and they are paying me to do it with minimal hassle to THEM... telling
me prefixes to add to their list is hassle.

I know this old saw and sales people will apply pressure to Ops if their
customers balk at the extra overhead.
The time is now to push back, hard, against that practice.
I realize you know this, Chris but are trying to characterize the mindset.

The new strategy is not just
shiny, it could actually save you loss of customers and
community respect.

agreed.

But that's just me...

it's not just you