nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGPMON Alert Questions

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 09:55:11 -0400

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:
On Thursday, April 03, 2014 02:51:20 PM Randy Bush wrote:

you want revenge or to prevent the effects of recurrence?

I'd like to consider targeted suggestions for fixes that
address the specific challenges affecting "seasoned"
upstreams vs. their downstream customers.

at this point it's hard to come up with a suggestion aside from:
"stop being negligent" :(

if after so many incidents and so many years, and seeing so many of
your friends trip on the stairs and break an arm, you'd think
providers would route-filter their customers just to avoid going to
the hospital.

I can understand how an ISP with relatively little
experience can mess this up (and glad to help here to
educate wherever possible). But if an "established" provider
is still struggling with this, why is that?

I'm going to guess:
  1) who's going to pay for the filtering setup work?
  2) we have always done it this way... why change?
  3) adrenaline rush?

one nice thing about origin validation is that anyone who
validates anywhere on the internet can reject the
mis-origination(s).

+1.

Mark.