nanog mailing list archives

Re: common method to count traffic volume on IX

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:15:23 +0200

In a message written on Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:11:23PM +0300, Martin T wrote:
counting traffic on inter-switch links is kind of cheating, isn't it? I mean if "input bytes" and "output bytes" on all the ports facing the IX members are already counted, then counting traffic on links between the switches in fabric will count some of the traffic multiple times.

I don't know of any IXP that does this. Industry standard is as you and others wrote before: the 5-minute counter difference on all customer-facing ports, publishing both input and output bps and pps.
I guess MRTG is to 'blame' for these values more than anything.

* bicknell () ufp org (Leo Bicknell) [Tue 17 Sep 2013, 20:52 CEST]:
Sounds like a marketing opportunity.

customer--s1--s2--s3--s4--s5--s6--s7--s8--s9--s10--customer

Presto, highest volume IX!

Highest latency too, and here's to hoping all those devices actually work - it'll sure be an interesting exercise to find out wat switch in the path dropped a frame - you might as well just multiply your stats to get the same effect

        -- Niels.