nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet Surveillance and Boomerang Routing: A Call for Canadian Network Sovereignty

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:05:09 -0400

William Waites <wwaites () tardis ed ac uk> writes:

Is this a good or a bad thing? I can remember back when there was a
project in the 'states called Carnivore, and we had some American
police -- I believe they were FBI -- come up and ask us politely if
we'd like to put some of their machines on our network. Everybody
pretty much uniformly said no. Shortly thereafter an American carrier
showed up selling gigabit ethernet circuits to NYC for well below what
was the going rate at the time and effectively pulled a lot of traffic
that would otherwise have remained in country across the border.

More attributable to the unintended consequences of some of the more
draconian parts of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_Act_of_2003
than of Carnivore, actually.  :)

-r