nanog mailing list archives

Re: Pad 1310nm cross-connects?

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell () ufp org>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 13:14:59 -0700

In a message written on Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 07:33:19PM -0700, Chris Costa wrote:
What are the opinions/views on attenuating short, 1310nm LR cross-connects.
 Assume < 20m cable length and utilizing the same vendor optics on each
side of the link.  Considering the LR transmit spec doesn't exceed the
receiver's high threshold value do you pad the receiver closer to the
median RX range to avoid potential receiver burnout over time, or just
leave it un-padded?

With any optics, you need to go to the specifications.

I assume here you mean 10GbaseLR, although I will point out that "LR" is
ambiguous as there is also for instance OC192-LR.

I'm going to pick on Juniper specs, just because they were the easiest
to find with Google:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/transceiver-m-mx-t-series-10-gigabit-optical-specifications.html

And similar for 1000baseLX, the similar technology for GigE:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/transceiver-m-mx-t-series-1000base-optical-specifications.html

Note that for both 10GbaseLR and 1000baseLX the transmitter power range
is entirely inside the allowed receiver range.  They were designed this
way on purpose, to never need a pad.  An in-spec optic can never over
drive the receiver, even with zero loss.

Answering your question, I would never pad them.

Compare with for instance a 10Gbase-ER or 1000baseEX, 40km over
single mode optics.  In both cases an in-spec can exceed a receiver.
10Gbase-ER can transmit up to +4.0dBm, while the receiver needs
-1.0dBm or below.  When connecting them "back to back" a 5dB
attenuator is required to keep the receiver in-spec.  For any real
connections (over a fiber path more trivial than a jumper) a light
meter should be used, the value checked, and an attenuator that
places the circuit 1-2dB inside of the safe zone of the receiver
should be used.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell () ufp org - CCIE 3440